CARTHAGE, N.Y. -- Firefighters say a family pet sparked a fire at a North Country home. It happened on Rodgers Crossing Road in the Town of Wilna just after noon on Tuesday.
Investigators say flames started after a dog knocked over a kerosene heater.
Crews were able to control the flames and the fire was put out quickly.
"The main living room area has extensive smoke damage...there is smoke damage throughout and water damage," said Brian Draper, Head Fire Driver Carthage-Wilna Fire Department.
No one was injured in the fire. The Red Cross helped the family at the scene.